Sunday, June 30, 2013

Birthday Season and Churros!

I will be back home in just a matter of days. The anxiety is unbearable. I cannot concentrate on a single task. The one thought on my mind: what will I make first?

I have been contemplating for days. Should I do carrot cake showdown? Try a new S'mores bar recipe? Or start a cake decorating project?

It is birthday season in my family. One birthday June 30th, one July 1st, one July 16th, and then mine: August 5th! This calls for some serious cake time.

I will be home on July 5th. This means I have to make two belated cakes, and then prepare for the July 16th cake. This also means I have to make a choice from many possible flavors and designs. I wanted to make a carrot cake, however, I also want to test out three different recipes to determine the best of the best.

This is quite the dilemma. To help me out, I shall make churros. Yes, churros. The delicious, scrumptious, and melt-in-your-mouth Mexican donut. Best served hot for breakfast, they are sure to be a crowd-pleaser.


Eat them with coffee, tea, or just on their own. And as easy as it is eat an entire batch within minutes, it is easier to make them!

Just be sure that the oil you are using for frying them is very hot. Test it by dropping in a tiny drop of batter in the oil; if it bubbles and rises to the surface right away, it is ready.

To achieve the classic churro shape, I used a closed-star pastry tip. Try not to use a very large tip, as the center of the churro may come out raw with the outside burned. However, you also don't want to it to be too small or else the churros will become crispy (which, although may sound pleasant, is not as good as soft, melt-in-your-mouth, churros).

No comments:

Post a Comment