Friday, June 21, 2013

A Grainy, Unappetizing, Sad Mess

It hasn't been too long since I entered the world of the KitchenAid stand mixer--and I'm already spoiled.

For many years, I would rely upon my handy hand mixer. I never had--and still don't have--the money for the ever-so impressive, holy, and magnificent stand mixer. It was always a dream. Then about four months ago, as an early birthday gift, my parents made it a reality.

I had even more reasons to bake now (not that I needed them). If my parents spent so much money on it, why let it just sit there? If it will mix on its own, while I prepare for the next step, why not use it? If it will mix my batters and frostings to a consistency that my hand mixer could never achieve, why not give it a run? If it is just so darn beautiful to stare at and marvel upon, why not concoct and test a new recipe?

But now I am in DC for the summer, away from home (once again), away from my kitchen, and worst of all, far, far away from my stand mixer.

No worries though, I brought my basic baking supplies along with me: cupcake trays, pastry bags and tips, flour, sugar, and....my lonely hand mixer. I tried to bring the stand mixer, but its heavy, and carrying it on the bus from NYC to DC would have been... well, disastrous.

Nonetheless, here I am in my new (shared) 'home' in DC. My first time in the professional world. My first week at work is complete, and its on to the next. So how do I celebrate?




Cupcakes! And not just any cupcakes, but chocolate cupcakes with cookie dough filling and peanut butter fudge frosting.

I thought I'd introduce my co-workers to my baking adventures with a bang. And boy was it! A grainy, unappetizing, sad...bang.

I've made this cake/cupcake many, many times in my life. It's a proven, go-to crowd pleaser.

That morning, I walked into work, holding my container full of cupcakes, with a huge smirk on my face. I was so ready to wow everyone. I sent out an email, talked up the cupcakes to everyone, and watched as my co-workers and boss (oh no!) swarmed into the kitchen.



Step-by-Step Replay:

THE FIRST BITE: "Oh my god this is delicious!" "The frosting is to die for!" "The cake is so moist!" "I love chocolate!" "I love peanut butter! How did you know?" "I am soo impressed! These are sooo good!"

THE SECOND BITE: ......................... (not a word)

What happened? In the first bite, most of my co-workers (and boss) got a taste of the cake and the frosting. But in the second bite, they all bit into the cookie dough filling.

Thanks to my 'handy' hand mixer, the butter and sugar base of the filling did not combine well, leaving a very grainy and sand-like cookie dough filling. And as you may remember from a previous post, I never eat or taste what I bake (I know, I know, I always get the look your giving me right now), so I had absolutely no idea. It was thanks to a very 'loquacious' co-worker who, without hesitation, proclaimed: "Man, what is this in here? I feel like I'm chewing on sand".

My heart dropped. I just made a fool out of myself in front of all my co-workers and (ahhh!) boss. Out of all the times I made this cake/cupcake, out...of...all...the...times, this had to happen now.

Thankfully, I knew the cake and frosting were absolutely divine, so it slightly--very slightly--made up for the cookie dough filing.

With all that said and done, I share this--my most favorite--recipe with you, in hopes that you will remember to mix that butter and sugar well, or else face the wrath of utter embarrassment.



The pictures in this post are from the cake I made for Father's Day just a few weeks before the horrendous outcome of what can't even be called cupcakes.

A few notes about the cake:

  • The frosting is by far one of the best frostings ever! I would recommend making only the frosting if you don't want to make the entire cake just to give it a taste.
  • Before removing the cake from its pan, give it full time to cool (I know how hard it is). Trust me, otherwise the cake is most likely to fall apart in your hands or half of it may remain stuck to the cake pan.
  • While it should not be a problem, if you plan on stacking this cake very tall or using it for sculpting, test it out first. The cake is quite light and moist, but giving it time to cool should allow for more easy handling.
  • Keep in mind that this cookie dough will not yield great cookies if baked.
  • And finally, make sure you mix the butter and sugar for the cookie dough really, really well!




      **Recipe adapted from Cupcake Wars.

      **Recipe adapted from Cupcake Wars.
Top Food Blogs

No comments:

Post a Comment